1 hr 20 mins
This is a family favorite. It could be made with either meat, chicken fillet or whole disjointed chicken pieces. It's best to use baby okra, they don't go slimy in a hurry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 kg okra
- 1/2 kg of cubed lamb, cubed chicken fillets or 1/2 kg chicken piece
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 big onions
- 2 cups of fresh blended tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped (cilantro)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Wash okra and chop off stems.
- 2Cut onions into fine pieces.
- 3Sauté onions in oil till golden on medium.
- 4Add garlic and stir for a few seconds.
- 5Add spices stir for a few seconds add meat cook till water from meat drys on medium heat.
- 6Stir at intervals.
- 7Add tomato paste stir for a few seconds add blended tomatoes and water to meat, cook until meat is done.
- 8Add okra to meat and simmer on medium low for 13 minutes.
- 9Add the chopped coriander and lemon juice, simmer another 3 minutes.
- 10Serve hot with basmati white rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saudi Okra Stew With Meat (Bamia)
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.3
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.0 mg
- Sodium 442.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 14.6 g