Recipe by UmmBinat
So tasty this is for company!! I serve this on a bed of my own Arabic Style Rice With Lamb Meat and a fresh salad. The classic stuffed chicken gets a flavour boost from rice, meat, spices, raisins, almonds and tomato. "I like to add chickpeas to the tomato topping because the chickpea flavour reminds me of the roasted chickpeas that can be bought at street side stands around the Middle East." Adapted from Arabian Delights by Amy Riolo.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef or 1⁄4 lb ground lamb
- 1 small onion, diced
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup cooked white basmati rice
- 1⁄8 cup slivered almonds (or pine nuts with the ground lamb)
- 1⁄8 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bahrat mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned, skinned and rinsed well
- 1 cup tomato puree (Use a good brand!)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat one tbs olive oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, meat and cook until meat is browned.
- Season with salt and pepper and half of bahrat spice mix.
- Pour into a large bowl and stir in rice, almonds or pine nuts, and raisins.
- Grease a roasting pan with a lid or use you may use aluminum foil with the remaining 2 tbs olive oil.
- Place chicken in the pan and turn to coat with oil.
- Stuff chicken with meat mixture.
- Place chicken breast side up in pan and spread crushed garlic onto chicken.
- Pour tomato puree over top.
- Sprinkle other half of bahrat spice mix on top.
- Scatter chickpeas around the base of the pan and mix with the tomato puree.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cover and bake for 1-1/12 hours until chicken is done.