1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
So tasty this is for company!! I serve this on a bed of my own Arabic Style Rice With Lamb Meat and a fresh salad. The classic stuffed chicken gets a flavour boost from rice, meat, spices, raisins, almonds and tomato. "I like to add chickpeas to the tomato topping because the chickpea flavour reminds me of the roasted chickpeas that can be bought at street side stands around the Middle East." Adapted from Arabian Delights by Amy Riolo.
My Private Note
whole c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 lb ground beef or 1/4 lb ground lamb
- 1 small onion, diced
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup cooked white basmati rice
- 1/8 cup slivered almonds (or pine nuts with the ground lamb)
- 1/8 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bahrat mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned, skinned and rinsed well
- 1 cup tomato puree (Use a good brand!)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Heat one tbs olive oil in pan over medium heat.
- 3Add onion, meat and cook until meat is browned.
- 4Season with salt and pepper and half of bahrat spice mix.
- 5Pour into a large bowl and stir in rice, almonds or pine nuts, and raisins.
- 6Grease a roasting pan with a lid or use you may use aluminum foil with the remaining 2 tbs olive oil.
- 7Place chicken in the pan and turn to coat with oil.
- 8Stuff chicken with meat mixture.
- 9Place chicken breast side up in pan and spread crushed garlic onto chicken.
- 10Pour tomato puree over top.
- 11Sprinkle other half of bahrat spice mix on top.
- 12Scatter chickpeas around the base of the pan and mix with the tomato puree.
- 13Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 14Cover and bake for 1-1/12 hours until chicken is done.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saudi Chicken Stuffed With Rice & Meat (Dajaj Mashwy)
Serving Size: 1 (567 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1179.7
- Calories from Fat 641
- Total Fat 71.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 263.1 mg
- Sodium 447.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 71.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: