Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Nice flavour. Modified from http://arabicbites.blogspot.com/
- 1⁄2 kg ground chicken
- 1⁄4 cup hemans olive oil mayonnaise (to be soy-free)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup rice crackers, very crushed (to be wheat or gluten-free)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baharat (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour (to be gluten-free)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all ingredients except flour and oil in a medium bowl.
- Flour hands and roll 1 tbls of mixture into a ball.
- Repeat until all mixture is used.
- Shallow fry in oil until browned or use as directed in Recipe #363669.
I was kind of hesitant to use mayo in the meatballs but it definitely made them nice & moist. I did reduce the mayo & lemon juice by half since I was leery. I also had some grated onion to the mix since I had some that needed to be used. Made for Ramadan Tag 2011
Prepared this using fresh local free range ground chicken, parsley from the herb garden and homemade baharat. I found brown rice crackers at the natural food store and used my own ground brown rice flour to coat the meatballs. The meat was moist due to the mayonnaise and our toddler daughter came back for thirds! Served over a bed of barley, yellow squash from the garden and a salad with #430054 . Meatballs form into balls best if the mixture is well chilled first which I prepared early in the morning. Reviewed for Ramadan Tag.
Sometimes you find a recipe that is as enjoyable to make as it is to eat and this is one of those recipes! The aroma of the parsley, lemon, and all the spices in the baharat is just wonderful and is noticed while you make the meatballs and while they are cooking. I used your suggestion of Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix as a base for the spices that I added. These turned out moist and delicious - thanks for sharing the recipe!