Recipe by UmmBinat
I give this 5 stars. It's very delicious and a nice colourful presentation. I serve this along with a small whole roasted chicken and a fresh salad. Modified from http://arabicbites.blogspot.com.
Top Review by WiGal
Very mild tasting and enjoy the pine nuts for a bit of texture. I was unable to find basmatic so bought a short grain rice. Weird but in rural Wisconsin, there are limitations. For step 11, I left the rice on burner with the heat off. The towel technique works really well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kabsa spice mix (Saudi Kabsa Spice Mix)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Also required: 2 paper towels cut in half.
- Wash rice in a sieve until water runs clear.
- Soak rice for at least 15 minutes in a pot of cold water.
- Toast pine nuts in a small dry frying pan until browned a bit. Be careful not to burn them.
- Drain rice and add all ingredients to a large bottomed pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 13-18 minutes, still covered.
- Uncover and fuff with a fork leaving it on the same burner.
- Place 3 of the paper towel pieces around the rim of the pot and cover tightly again.
- Use the forth one for any mess or save for later.
- Leave to sit for 20 minutes with paper towels. (This makes for fluffier rice).
- Fluff again and serve.