Recipe by Sharkkool
This is a recipe my Mom gave me years ago and have not really seen anything else like it. It uses a lot of ingredients one normally has on hand and have not met anybody who did not like. Fantastic for Potlucks - always gone - always better the second day! We usually eat in the summer so don't let the "Winter" part make you wait until the cold!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup dark corn syrup (recommend Karo)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 (14 1/4 ounce) cans chili (or use your own recipe, recommend with beans)
- 1 lb hot dog
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 lb shellroni pasta, cooked in salt water and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, combine bacon and onion and fry until bacon is almost crisp and onion is soft. Drain excess fat- throw out or pour over your dog's dry food (made sure it has cooled before giving to your pet).
- Stir in syrup, lemon juice, paprika, salt,Worcestershire sauce chili and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Cut up hotdogs into bite size pieces, add to mixture and cook until hot and cooked through.
- Add corn starch to 2 tablespoons water and immediately add to mixture. Boil one minute or until somewhat thickened.
- Add shellroni, heat through - this should finish thickening - just make sure not too thick as it will continue to thicken upon standing.
- Can eat immediately, or wait a day. Easily dived and frozen up to 3 months.