Filling, economical, and delicious! You won't even miss the meat. Enjoyed and entered in Dining on a Dollar contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms (a mix of button and cremini is good)
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped red sweet bell pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 6 tablespoons shredded muenster cheese, divided (you could leave out to make vegan or use Parmesan cheese)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients(mushrooms through black pepper). Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for about 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, cut 10 large whole leaves off cabbage head and cook leaves in boiling water just until softened and pliable(about 5 minutes). Set aside eight large leaves for rolls (the two extra are just in case a leaf tears). Cut out the thick vein from each leaf, making a V-shape cut. Overlap the cut ends before filling.
- 3Stir 4 tablespoons Muenster cheese and lemon juice into the vegetable mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Now place 1/3 cupful on each cabbage leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll to completely enclose the filling.
- 5Combine tomato sauce, ketchup, lemon juice, maple syrup and hot pepper sauce(and Worchestershire sauce if using); pour 1/3 cup into a 2 quart baking dish. Place cabbage rolls, seam side down, in the baking dish; spoon remaining sauce over the top.
- 6Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- 7Sprinkle with the remaining Muenster cheese.
- 9Note: (Honey or brown sugar are options for the maple syrup after the contest.).
Browse Our Top Hungarian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hungarian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saucy Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.9
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 9.9 mg
- Sodium 557.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.9 g
- Sugars 20.5 g
- Protein 11.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: