Recipe by Makennasmommy
I came up with the yummy pot-roast recipe on Sunday evening when I had some red wine to use up and wanted a different roast recipe other than my cream-of-mushroom soup stand-by. My hubby raved and even went back for thirds!
Top Review by Nif
The flavour from the sauce is fantastic and would be wonderful with mashed potatoes. I used a round roast so it was a little tougher but it was still very good. I made this as directed but was a bit short on red wine so I used some white as well. Delicious recipe! Made for my adopted chef for Fall PAC 2011. Thanks Makennasmommy! :)
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper added
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup full-bodied red wine
- 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup stock
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (1 5/8 ounce) package mushroom gravy mix
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- more salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Dust the beef roast with flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- 2. Over med-high heat, add oil to heavy Dutch oven and then sear the roast on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. Add a little more olive oil, if necessary. Add onions and garlic and saute until translucent.
- 4. Add the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes, then add the red wine, broth, tomato sauce,gravy mix, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 5. Bring this to a boil for 5 minutes.
- 6. Put the roast back into the sauce, put on the lid snugly and bake in a 400 degree oven for 1.5 hours, or until the roast is done and tender.