Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Adapted from allrecipes. posted on request by Di Neal.
- 8 large green bell peppers
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 gallon tomato juice
- Wash the peppers thoroughly.
- Remove the tops, seeds, and rinse the inside of the pepper.
- Set the usable portion of the peppers aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute onion until translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion and butter mixture with the ground beef and mix well by hand.
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly pour in the rice, while mixing by hand.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Stuff the meat and rice mixture into the peppers.
- Coat the bottom of 1 or 2 large pots with oil.
- Place the stuffed peppers into the pot (s) leaving a 2 inch space at the top of the pot.
- Pour in tomato juice until peppers are covered.
- If there is leftover meat mixture, form into balls and add to the tomato juice.
- Heat on low for 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir every 20 to 45 minutes.
- Juice will reduce to a thick sauce.
- You can tell that the peppers are done when they are splitting at the sides.