Yet another one from our 'comfort food' collection...a sort of poor man's stroganoff with a twist...No canned cream soup, no salty broth/bouillon and we added the tangy zip of Heinz57 sauce...Then we made it a little healthier by using ground turkey, low-fat sour cream and whole wheat pasta...Try it, you'll like it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb ground turkey (breast) or 1 lb ground chicken (breast)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup water (HOT but NOT boiling)
- 1/3 cup Heinz 57 steak sauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream (Cabot Light)
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1Drain the canned mushrooms and reserve the liquid (set liquid aside for later) --.
- 2In a large skillet, brown together the ground turkey, mushrooms and onion in the olive oil.
- 3Stir in flour and salt, then add the reserved mushroom liquid, water and Heinz57 sauce, mixing well --.
- 4Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer 15 minutes, stirring often --.
- 5Turn off heat and stir in the sour cream and then serve over the hot buttered egg noodles --.
- 6Suggestions:Swap out the egg noodle for other pasta, such as angel hair pasta or fettucine.
- 7Note: While it simmers, make a tossed salad to go with the meal!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saucy Stroganoff
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.9
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 149.3 mg
- Sodium 134.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 30.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Heinz 57 steak sauce