Recipe by Cookin'withGas
Yet another one from our 'comfort food' collection...a sort of poor man's stroganoff with a twist...No canned cream soup, no salty broth/bouillon and we added the tangy zip of Heinz57 sauce...Then we made it a little healthier by using ground turkey, low-fat sour cream and whole wheat pasta...Try it, you'll like it!
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb ground turkey (breast) or 1 lb ground chicken (breast)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup water (HOT but NOT boiling)
- 1⁄3 cup Heinz 57 steak sauce
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream (Cabot Light)
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the canned mushrooms and reserve the liquid (set liquid aside for later) --.
- In a large skillet, brown together the ground turkey, mushrooms and onion in the olive oil.
- Stir in flour and salt, then add the reserved mushroom liquid, water and Heinz57 sauce, mixing well --.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer 15 minutes, stirring often --.
- Turn off heat and stir in the sour cream and then serve over the hot buttered egg noodles --.
- Suggestions:Swap out the egg noodle for other pasta, such as angel hair pasta or fettucine.
- Note: While it simmers, make a tossed salad to go with the meal!