Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mom's recipe, and one that she is known for in our neighborhood...by far, the best stewed burgers I have ever had. I make them with ground turkey, she uses beef...great either way!! Number of servings depends on how big you make the burgers.
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 slice day-old bread, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- hamburger bun, to serve
- Mix together all burger ingredients (I usually use my hands, seems easiest).
- Form into patties.
- Brown burgers in large skillet until cooked through.
- In large saucepan or crockpot, combine all sauce ingredients; mix well.
- Add burgers and cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in hamburger buns.
Very tasty. I used ground beef. I served it over mashed potatoes one day and over pasta the next. The sauce was a little sweet for my taste but we enjoyed the recipe.
A really good recipe. The sauce was so rich and tasty. Next time we make them, we plan to add some fresh herbs to the sauce-lemon thyme would be nice. We cooked off the onion, then added the other sauce ingredients and cooked it for 20 minutes, then added the browned meatballs and cooked it all for a further 20 minutes. We had this over mashed potatoes, with veg on the side.
We had various family/friends over this Sunday to watch football games and I served these burgers. The team we were cheering for didn't win but these burgers went over real well with everyone. I used ground beef and they were very tender. The sauce had a sweet-tangy flavor which everyone thought was delicious. Preparation was quick and easy, too, which made me happy. Thanks Manda, for another great recipe.