Recipe by Manda
My mom's recipe, and one that she is known for in our neighborhood...by far, the best stewed burgers I have ever had. I make them with ground turkey, she uses beef...great either way!! Number of servings depends on how big you make the burgers.
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 slice day-old bread, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- hamburger bun, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together all burger ingredients (I usually use my hands, seems easiest).
- Form into patties.
- Brown burgers in large skillet until cooked through.
- In large saucepan or crockpot, combine all sauce ingredients; mix well.
- Add burgers and cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in hamburger buns.