Recipe by mailbelle
A creamy and rich sauce goes over rice or noodles and round steak thats been simmered until it's tender. This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks, "BHG Off The Shelf Cooking."
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tenderized beef round steak
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- hot cooked noodles or rice
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut meat into 5 serving-size pieces.
- In a large skillet cook meat, half at a time, in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown on both sides. Drain off fat. Return all of the meat to skillet.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together soup, drained mushrooms, water, and, if using, dried basil. Pour over meat in skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until meat is tender. Transfer meat to a serving platter, reserving mushroom mixture in skillet. Cover meat to keep warm.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together sour cream and flour. Stir sour cream mixture into mushroom mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute more. If using, stir in fresh basil.
- Serve sauce and meat over hot cooked noodles or rice. Sprinkle with parsley.