Recipe by Cadillacgirl
From "For the Breast of Friends!" Tried this since it was yucky outside, and it makes my house smell wonderful!
Top Review by diner524
I made this, but didn't use the slow cooker method. I coated the meat in a flour, garlic salt and pepper combination and then browned it. Then I added the other veggies and let them cook for a bit, until tender. Then I added the remaining ingredients, covered it and let it simmer for about an hour. So delicious and tender!!! I served it with mashed potatoes and gravy, that I thickened from the sauce, and corn on the cob. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 7.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lbs round steaks, cut into cubes
- 2 onions, chopped finely (medium size)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reserved juice from canned tomato
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat oil, then brown steak on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to med-low, then add onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper to pan, then cover and cook until veggies are a little softened - about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the veggies and cook for 1 minute, stirring, then add tomatoes, reserved juice, and worchestershire. Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened, then add bay leaf.
- Pour tomato mixture over steak into the slow cooker and cook on low 8 - 10 hours or on high 4 - 5 hours, until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaf and serve with crusty bread or buttered noodles.