1/1 Photo of Saucy Skewered Meat With Cabbage Patties
An inexpensive and quick dish. The flavors of the meat skewers and the cabbage patties really go well together. This recipe can be dressed up or down, by adding more vegs, or making a kind of hamburger with panini bread (which I used) or pita or toasted bread. If you want more servings, simply double the ingredients. Created for DINING ON A DOLLAR, 2013.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 ounces round steaks, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow mustard, sauce (runny hotdog mustard, the cheap one)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 5 -6 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into chunks (or use a large one)
- 2 -3 teaspoons milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups cabbage, very finely shredded (I used a mandolin)
- 3 tablespoons green peppers, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt (less if using table salt)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 extra large egg
- butter (for frying)
- oil (for frying)
- 1Depending on your steak, cut into chunks and leave in a marinade, or use as it is.
- 2Mix the ketchup, mustard and soy sauce together. Thread the meat chunks on the skewers, and drench on both sides in the ketchup mixture. Cover, and leave for a while in the fridge.
- 3Boil the potato chunks until tender.
- 4In the meantime, slice the cabbage. I used 1 baby cabbage because it is easier to work with, and I used a mandolin to slice it really fine.
- 5Chop 3 tablespoons green pepper finely (about 1/3 pepper).
- 6Drain the potato chunks, add 2 t milk to start with, and mash. Add extra teaspoon milk if too dry.
- 7Mix all the vegetables (including the mash) in a large bowl, and mix in the oregano. Add salt to taste: with sea salt flakes you need less than with fine table salt. Mix in the garlic and pepper.
- 8Whisk the egg briefly and add. Mix until you have a mixture which just hold together. If really too dry, add a teaspoon of milk.
- 9Use a pan, pref non-stick, melt the butter and oil over quite high heat, form 4 large flat patties, and fry. Lower the heat or they will burn.
- 10Once the patties slightly hold their shape (they won't be completely firm), turn over with a large spatula. They should be browned at the edges, but not fried to death. Remove and keep warm.
- 11The meat skewers: heat your grill to high. Take skewers out of the sauce, put on a grid with a pan beneath them, and grill until done. You need to turn them once or twice.
- 12Warm the leftover sauce, and use to spoon over the skewers once done. (Can be done on an outside grill or in a hot oven).
- 13Serve the skewers on the patties, with the patties on a pita bread or toasted panini, or on toasted bread or any bread you like, or even as a kind of hamburger.
- 14To serve as a main dish, add a tomato-cucumber salsa and corn on the cob -- or similar.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saucy Skewered Meat With Cabbage Patties
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.5
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 200.6 mg
- Sodium 1448.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 46.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flaked sea salt