Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very easy casserole dish and is a change from ground beef. It's excellent with fresh rolls and a salad.
- 1 lb sausage meat
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomato
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 clove garlic or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups cooked penne pasta
- 2 cups grated cheese (I use whatever I have on hand)
- Cook crumbled sausage in fry pan.
- Add peppers,onion.
- Remove seeds from zucchini do not peel.
- Add to sausage and peppers.
- Saute til vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked.
- Put cooked noodles in a large casserole.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes and sausage mixture.
- Add spices and crushed garlic clove and combine all ingredients to coat the noodles with the sauce and sausage.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
To me this dish had no taste. If it wasn't for the sausage, witch I make it wouldn't of had any flavor. The first thing I would do is remove the basil and oregano. Change it to 3 teaspoons of Italian seasoning. Use two or more garlic cloves. Otherwise the cooking method is sound and works.
This reminds me of the sausage & pasta dish I love at Olive Garden! I used hot italian sausage to make this and a combination of romano & mozzarella cheese. I did drain & rinse the sausage before proceeding with the recipe. Good dish!!!