1/4 Photos of Saucy Salmon, Fennel and Potato Gratin Dauphinoise
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
My latest culinary discovery and invention! I had some lovely fresh salmon fillets, a fennel bulb and lots of potatoes.....so, I thought I would make a one dish meal out of it. Everyone loved it and it is light enough to eat any time of the year. Do try to use WHOLE boned & skinned salmon fillets - they sit so well lengthways in your gratin dish! I added no garlic to mine - I felt that the fennel and onion flavours were enough; but if you like, a clove or two at the most might be a tasty addition. Serve with chilled Chablis, Colombard,Chardonnay or a good Rose wine for a delightful lunch or supper. We ate this with crusty bread and a big bowl of mixed salad.....plus a couple bottles of wine! This serves 6 people as a main meal, but it can be reduced or increased according to your menu requirements.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh salmon, skinned, boned and filleted
- 1 fennel bulb, cleaned, trimmed & cut into very thin slices
- 1 -2 onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 -5 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced VERY thinly
- 1 ounce butter
- 1/2 pint liquid creme fraiche or 1/2 pint milk, and cream mixture
- black pepper
- fresh lemon wedge (to garnish)
- green fennel leaves (to garnish)
- 1 -2 garlic clove (optional)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 180C/350°F.
- 2Grease a large and preferably oval or rectangular oven dish (Gratin dish) with half of the butter.
- 3Layer half of the potatoes on the bottom of the dish, then arrange half of the fennel slices and half of the onion slices over the top. Season well with black pepper and some salt to taste.
- 4Carefully lay the salmon fillets over the top and continue with the onion, fennel and potato slices in that order - ending with the potatoes.
- 5Dot with the remaining butter and pour the creme fraiche or milk/cream mixture over the top.
- 6Season with black pepper and salt.
- 7Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a pre-heated oven, until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are soft when tested.
- 8Serve hot with lemon wedges and the green tops of the fennel bulb; crusty bread and salad would be lovely accompaniments.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saucy Salmon, Fennel and Potato Gratin Dauphinoise
Serving Size: 1 (556 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 598.8
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 143.0 mg
- Sodium 182.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 37.7 g