Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From chatelaine magazine.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 700 ml pasta sauce (your favourite)
- 4 cups Italian cheese blend, shredded or 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (283 g) can prepared pizza crust, refrigerated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly coat a large wide saucepan with oil and set over medium-high heat.
- Crumble meat into pan. Using a fork stir frequently to keep meat crumbly.Cook until no pink remains 4 to 6 minutes.
- Drain off fat and liquid, then place meat into bowl.
- Add more oil to coat pan. Add mushrooms and stir often until brown around edges,5 minutes. Add onion,pepper and olives. Stir often until onions starts to soften,3 minutes.
- Return meat to pan. Stir in pasta sauce, 3cups of cheese and 2 teaspoons of oregano. Stir often until hot,3minutes.
- Scrape into 9x9x13 inch baking dish.Smooth surface.
- On a lightly floured surface,roll dough into a 10x14 inch rectangle.Place over filling.Press edges onto side of dish.Lightly brush top with oil.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese anbd 1 teaspoon oregano.
- Bake in center of oven until golden and filling is bubbly,20-25 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving to allow filling to thicken a little.