Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Best of two worlds, American and Italian.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 hamburg buns
- In a bowl, combine beef and garlic salt.
- Shape into eight patties.
- Top 4 of the patties with cheese.
- Cover with remaining patties.
- Press edges to seal.
- In a saucepan, combine the pizza sauce, mushrooms and oregano.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Set aside.
- Pan fry, or grill burgers until no longer pink.
- Spread bottoms of buns with a little sauce.
- Top with burgers, onion and remaining sauce.
- Replace tops.
These burgers were great! I took another reviewer's suggestion and used sliced mozzarella to fill the burgers and that made it really easy. I pan-fried them and had very little leakage. These flavorful burgers stuffed with cheese really hit the spot - thanks for sharing this recipe!
These were wonderfully tasteful, and I did not find them that difficult to make. Instead of shredded mozzarella I used 3 1/2 pieces of Ciliegini (small fresh mozzarella balls) . I also made my own pizza sauce using fire roasted tomatos that I cooked down with garlic, and extra oregano. I toasted the bun with garlic butter (thats not a bite out of the bun -- it's a chip!) and topped with a sprinkling of shredded parmesan! Yummy!
These are excellent burgers and the whole family LOVED them. I was on the fence between 4 and 5 stars because although they were delicious, I didn't know if the whole cheese in the middle thing made much of a difference and to be honest, was a lot more work than anticipated. I had a hard time taking that small amount of meat and making then flat enough. I couldn't possibly fit 1/4 cup of cheese on each; I probably used half the amount. I had a hard time "sealing" them and the meat didn't hold together too well (I used fresh 80/20 ground beef). But, my family assures me that they really enjoyed the gooey cheese middle and that the flavor was outstanding. So 5 stars for this recipe! I will make again, but instead of shredded cheese, I'll try slices. Thanks! P.S. I used an Italian seasoning blend instead of oregano and added to the meat instead of the sauce.