Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not sure where I received this recipe, but it's perfect for a quick weeknight supper. For some reason, I always have a jar of spaghetti sauce in the fridge that I need to use the remainder of or throw away. Sometimes I add a bit of Italian seasoning for extra flavor. This dish cooks in one pot, so there is minimal clean up. Also, it's much healthier than Hamburger Helper.
- 453.59 g extra lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove
- 709.77 ml fusilli or 709.77 ml macaroni noodles
- 828.06 ml water
- 283.49 g jar spaghetti sauce
- 236.59 ml mushroom, chopped
- 354.88 ml zucchini, chopped
- 236.59 ml mozzarella cheese
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese
- Brown meat in large, deep skillet.
- Drain meat and add onions and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add pasta, water and spaghetti sauce.
- Bring to boil then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add both types of cheese and cook for 2 minutes.
Another quick and easy meal for lunch and of course best of all the kids liked it. I used a 4oz can of mushrooms and yellow squash when I made mine. I did take the liberty to add 3 ounces of tomato paste just to darken the pasta. By the end of the cooking time, I may have added about another cup of water. I topped each serving with about 1 1/2 tablespoon of cheese, that way I cut down on some of the fat. Yum, I'll make this again. Made for *Bargain Basement 2009* game