Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Ma always made this homemade mac-n-cheese when I was growing up. A bit more nutritious for you then the boxed type. A real comfort food! I love the flavor. I always double this recipe because we love the leftovers! Hope you do too! Try different shapes of pasta for fun!
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk (I like using whole milk)
- 1⁄2 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Make a sauce of the butter, flour, seasonings and milk.
- Stir the cheese into the hot sauce.
- Mix in the macaroni.
- Turn into a buttered 1 1/2 qt.
- glass casserole--about 7 1/2-inches across and 2 1/2-inches deep.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until a bit browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe reminds me of my moms' recipe too, though I remember Mom using several different types of cheeses. It was a hit with the 12 yr old, and just passable for the three yr old. Next time I may try using extra sharp cheddar, as well as american, and maybe a smoked cheese with a little ham-for my husband the carnivore- but this is one I'll make again. 1BizyMom.
I made this recipe for my daughters 3rd grade class project. I had to make enough for 40 people so I just tripled all ingrediants. It was delicious. I only used sharp cheese but next time I will use extra sharp and some cheddar. I added ham to the leftovers and it was even better.Just add ham,put in oven at 350 for 25 min.