Recipe by Anissa
My Ma always made this homemade mac-n-cheese when I was growing up. A bit more nutritious for you then the boxed type. A real comfort food! I love the flavor. I always double this recipe because we love the leftovers! Hope you do too! Try different shapes of pasta for fun!
Top Review by Kellie2
This recipe reminds me of my moms' recipe too, though I remember Mom using several different types of cheeses. It was a hit with the 12 yr old, and just passable for the three yr old. Next time I may try using extra sharp cheddar, as well as american, and maybe a smoked cheese with a little ham-for my husband the carnivore- but this is one I'll make again. 1BizyMom.
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk (I like using whole milk)
- 1⁄2 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Make a sauce of the butter, flour, seasonings and milk.
- Stir the cheese into the hot sauce.
- Mix in the macaroni.
- Turn into a buttered 1 1/2 qt.
- glass casserole--about 7 1/2-inches across and 2 1/2-inches deep.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until a bit browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.