Recipe by Irmgard
I made these for dinner recently and quite liked the contrast between the rich pork and the tart, spicy sauce.
- 2 lbs pork back ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 lemon, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut ribs into 3- or 4-rib serving-size portions.
- Place in bowl of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, turning to evenly coat.
- Add half of chopped celery and half of onion.
- Cover and cook on high setting 5 to 6 hours or low setting 7 to 8 hours, until tender.
- Turn meat halfway through.
- Before serving, melt butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- Add remaining celery and onion.
- Stir often until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in vinegar, ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire, mustard and chili flakes.
- Remove seeds from lemon slices and add slices.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, about 5 minutes, or make sauce ahead and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Reheat before using.
- Place ribs on a large platter or plates.
- Drizzle with warm sauce.