Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Easier than you might think.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cubed cooked ham
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped canned pimiento
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- Melt 2 tablespooons butter in 1/4 cup boiling water.
- Add 1/4 cup sifted flour and dash salt and stir vigorously.
- Cook and stir till mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add 1 egg, beating vigorously till mixture is smooth.
- Stir in caraway seed.
- Drop dough in two portions, 3 inches apart, on greased baking sheet.
- Bake in very hot oven (450 degrees) for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 degrees; bake 25 minutes more.
- Remove puffs from oven; cool slightly.
- Slice off top and remove moist membrane in each puff.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour.
- 1 cup milk.
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked ham.
- 2 boiled eggs, sliced.
- 1 teaspoon chopped pimiento.
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper.
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat; blend in flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and dash pepper.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir till mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add remaining ingredients; heat through.
- Spoon mixture into caraway puffs; serve immediately.
- You can skip the caraway seed in the puffs and fill with ham or chicken or tuna or egg salad too.