Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the kitchen of Tona Thornburg Court, Bridgeton MO.
- 4 cups fresh green beans, bias-sliced in 1-inch pieces (about 1 lb)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons pimiento, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup American cheese, shredded
- Cook beans in boiling salted water for 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
- In saucepan, cook onion, green pepper and garlic in margarine until tender but not brown.
- Remove from heat; stir in tomato sauce, pimiento, mustard, salt and pepper. Add beans.
- Turn into a 1 quart buttered casserole dish. COVER and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle cheese atop casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted.