Prep1 hr 30 mins
from taste of home feb/march 2011 joanna johnson from flower mound,tx
Make and share this Saucy Garlic Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (9 ounce) package Baby Spinach
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper, divided
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- remove paper outer skin from garlic (don't peel or seperate cloves). cut tops off of garlic bulbs, brush bulbs with 1T oil. wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. bake at 425 for 30-35 min or until softened. cool for 10-15 minute
- meanwhile, place spinach in a greased 9x13 baking dish, sprinkle with 1/4t each salt and pepper. in a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil on both sides, place over spinach.
- in a large saucepan, melt butter. stir in flour until smooth, gradually add milk. bring to a boil, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. stir in 2c cheese, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper. transfer to a blender, squeeze softened garlic into blender. cover and process until smooth. pour mix over chicken.
- cover and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 and sauce is bubbly. uncover sprinkle with remaining cheese. bake 5 min longer. serve with/over pasta. garnish with chopped tomato and parsley if desired.
Delicious! I scaled the recipe back to serve two. Served over fettuccine pasta. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag game. :)