Recipe by strawberrybird
After several unsucessful stir-fry attempts, I came up with this recipe adapted from several different sources. It's easy and just the right blend of falvors for my family. You can use whatever vegetables you like, but I use onions, broccoli, and water chestnuts.
Top Review by Susie D
This was easy to make & a nice weeknight meal. I reduced the amount of red pepper flakes by half and used carrots, green beans, onions, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, & water chesnuts. Next time I will make additional sauce to stir in at the end so there is more sauce to ladle on the rice. Made for ZWT6~ Asia. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water or 1 tablespoon chicken broth or 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 4 teaspoons garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup broccoli spear (optional)
- 1 small onion, diced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water or broth and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Add cornstarch and stir to dissolve.
- Add ketchup, hoisin sauce, garlic, and pepper flakes and stir well.
- Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a large skillet. Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Add chicken mixture and vegetables as desired. Cover and cook 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir occasionally.
- This is best served over hot white rice.