Prep 13 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is very good! I used crushed tomatoes when I first made this, as I didn't have diced at the time. It still turned out great! From Southern Living's Our Best Easy Weeknight Favorites.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes or 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 6 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- hot cooked rice or egg noodles
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a 4-quart electric slow cooker; add chicken pieces, pushing them down into sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 to 4 hours or on LOW 6 1/2 hours.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
- This is fall-off-the-bone tender chicken after it simmers in a well-seasoned thick tomato sauce. Use all chicken thighs, if you'd prefer.
We REALLY enjoyed this saucy drumstick recipe - thanks so much for posting it! I used about 10 or 12 drumsticks (no thighs) and a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (with no tomato paste), and we had enough sauce. Thanks again for posting, Chef #313014!
I don't think this should be both 6 drumsticks and 6 thighs but either or. I used 6 drumsticks and it was about as much as the sauce would cover. Resist the urge to add any additional water to this. It looks like it is too thick but as it cooks the sauce builds quite nicely.