Recipe by Derf
Real comfort food!!! Serve over garlic mashed potatoes with a side of corn. (Try the crockpot version, below) from Canadian Living mag.
Top Review by Sharon123
I made this in the crockpot and cooked on low for about 8 hrs. My husband says he doesn't like it in tomato sauce, but my daughter really enjoyed it, hence the 4 stars. I'm sure a tomato affecionado would love this! Thanks Rita!
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb round steak
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large plastic bag, shake together flour, salt and pepper.
- Cut steak into 8 pieces.
- One piece at a time, seal steak in bag; pound with meat mallet to 1/4 inch thikcness, working flour mixture into meat.
- Reserve any remaining flour mixture.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat; brown meat well, in batches if necessary.
- Remove to plate.
- Add bacon to pan; cook over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off fat.
- Add onions, garlic, celery, Cajun seasoning and thyme; cook, stirring until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with any reserved flour mixture, cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Whisk tomato paste into stock; pour into pan,.
- Return steaks and any accumulated juices to pan.
- Cover and simmer over low heat, turning steaks halfway through, 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Add green pepper.
- Simmer, covered until steaks are fork tender and green pepper is tender crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onions and parsley.
- Crockpot Version: Follow first paragraph as directed, In frypan, brown meat, transfer to crockpot.
- Whisk tomato paste into 2 cups beef stock; pour into frypan and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits, pour into crockpot.
- Add remaining ingredients, except green pepper, green onions and parsley.
- Cover and cook, stirring twice, until meat is tender, on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Add green pepper, cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh onions and parsley.