Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This one is for all of you brussels sprouts lovers out there.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos (drained)
- Cook the brussels sprouts according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in brown sugar, flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Drain sprouts; cut in half.
- Add to sauce and heat through.
- Stir in sour cream and pimentos.
This sauce for the brussels sprouts has a sweet edge which I've never tasted with brussels sprouts before. It is creamy, tasty and I like how pretty it looks too. I used fresh brussels sprouts so I roasted them at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes with a little salt and olive oil while I made the sauce. I used a couple of green onions since it only called for a TBSP and I used whole wheat flour so it was nice and thick. Thanks for a different twist on brussels sprouts!
This was really good. The brown sugar gives a nice, sweet taste, but not overpowering. Make sure to serve it hot though. We kind of let it cool down too much and it wasn't as good as when it was really warm.
VERY good!! We love brussels sprouts and eat them often, but I never knew how to serve them other than with lemon butter. This is a wonderful variation. Thanks!