Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
(or just about!) This is a simple sauce I created that we've used for many things, and it's especially handy if you don't want to make a side of veggies- makes meals heartier. We love it on pork chops, chicken, and pasta. You could even put it in a roll for a sandwich- because it's thick/chunky. Hope you like!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 roasted red peppers, from jars, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped artichoke
- 1⁄3 cup chopped olive
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oil in large deep skillet.
- Add onions, frying til soft.
- Add garlic, frying but not burning.
- Add tomatoes, red peppers, seasonings. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes.
- Add olives, capers, artichokes, mixing thoroughly.
- Cook on medium-low for about 12-15 minutes.
This is a delicious sauce that is so versatile. I made double the recipe and used half as a sauce for sauteed chicken breasts. I omitted capers from the other half and added it to homemade spaghetti sauce. The artichokes and roasted peppers added a great flavor to the spaghetti sauce. As you said, it has many uses and I'm adding it to my permanent recipe file. Thanks for posting this, Mrs. MM!
This is very good, MrsMM. Very Mediterranean flavors, and it's pretty low in fat! I especially like that you were generous with the capers -- I had this on chicken and will try it next on pork. Thanks for an easy, flavorful recipe!