Recipe by Secret Agent
My mother made this simple sauce in the summertime to save hours of 'gravy' cooking and my dad rated it his favorite "red" spaghetti sauce. Serve with Filomena's Pasta Fresca and I hope you enjoy it. If you do not have Roma tomatoes in season you can use diced canned tomatoes or what you have on hand.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 lbs roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped very fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, roughly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a pan on low and sizzle the garlic. Remove the garlic when it is a pale golden color.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, rosemary, salt, peppers and cook over medium heat until the tomatoes are not 'foaming', about 15 minutes or so. You don't want to cook this to death and it need not be screaming hot.
- Check your seasonings and adjust to your taste.
- Meanwhile, cook Recipe #272132 in a huge pot of boiling salted water per the recipe.
- Have a bowl heated so the pasta does not get cold.
- Immediately toss the pasta with the sauce and add the basil chiffonade.
- Pass the cheese and enjoy!