1/1 Photo of Sauce Espagnole - Spanish Sauce
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
Wonderful, flavorful sauce that is great over any kind of enchiladas, or even a plain chicken breast. So much flavor in such a simple quick recipe! *Note:* Stock is important and should be used rather than broth. If broth is used you will have a less flavorful, less full bodied sauce. There are many great recipes here on Zaar for stock and you can even find stock at your grocery now too! Any type will do, beef, chicken, even make it vegetarian! Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 large parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Heat a skillet over medium heat. When pan is warm add butter and oil and heat until butter is melted.
- 2Clean and roughly chop onion, celery, carrot, bell peppers and parsley and add them to pan with the bay leaf. Cook until nicely browned.
- 3Mix the flour and seasonings together and add to pan. Cook, stirring constantly. This will cook the flour and develop wonderful flavor.
- 4Allow the flour to develop a light tan color. About a minute or two.
- 5Whisk in the stock and until everything is well incorporated. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- 6Allow to cook about five minutes or until desired thickness is achieved.
- 7Strain and serve or refrigerate and reheat when needed, whisking until smooth.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauce Espagnole - Spanish Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.6
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 765.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: