Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Adopted! No comments by original poster. QDM: Pretty self explanatory, I'd say.
- 4 ounces onions, diced
- 2 ounces carrots, diced
- 2 ounces celery, diced
- 2 ounces oil
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 5 pints brown stock (either veal or beef)
- 6 ounces blond roux
- 3 -4 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Sachet d'epices: ingredients are placed into a 4" square of cheesecloth and tied into a sack.
- Brown the onions in the hot oil; add the rest of the mirepoix and continue to brown.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until it begins to brown and caramelize.
- Add the stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Whip the roux into the stock, making sure all lumps are broken up.
- Return to a simmer and add the sachet.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, and skim the surface if necessary.
- Strain the sauce through cheesecloth.