1/2 Photos of Sauce De Provence
This is a sauce that my friend Karen taught me how to cook. It's lovely with shrimp, chicken, or scallops, but it's critical to cook the meat separately from the sauce and them combine it at the last moment. My family will turn themselves inside out to help peel shrimp if I even mention this dish, so I'm always willing to make it. The tomatoes are important in this dish and I would never substitute canned. I don't make this if the tomatoes aren't great. If you choose not to use the Tuaca (or apple brandy), substitute with apple juice concentrate. Serve it over rice for a perfect meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 2 onions (large, cut into strips)
- 2 lbs tomatoes (ripe and flavorful, large dice)
- 1 cup chicken stock (rich, thick stock)
- cayenne (small pinch) (optional)
- 1/4 cup apple brandy (preferably tuaca)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs shrimp (peeled and deveined) or 2 lbs chicken (boneless, in bite sized chunks) or 2 lbs scallops
- 1Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and saute the onions carefully until translucent.
- 2Add the tomatoes. (I do not peel or seed these, but you should if you prefer to add this step.) Simmer until the tomatoes have melted into the onions.
- 3Add the chicken stock. Add a careful pinch of cayenne, if you are using this.
- 4Allow to simmer until the sauce thickens. Add the sprigs of thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Do not proceed to the next step until the sauce has thickened.
- 5In a separate frying pan, heat the oil until hot, add the meat until it is just cooked. (Do not overcook the shrimp or the scallops!).
- 6Mix the shrimp, scallops, or chicken in with the tomatoes and serve over perfectly cooked rice. (We always use the plain version of my Fat Rice.).
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauce De Provence
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.4
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 246.8 mg
- Sodium 331.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 33.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: