Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Benin, a seafood stew similar to gumbo found in the US gulf coast. ("Gombo", or some version of the word, is the name for okra in much of western Africa.) Serve with white rice. From "A Taste of Africa".
- 3 lbs crabmeat
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart vegetable broth
- cayenne pepper
- 1 lb okra
- In a stewpot, combine crab, onions, tomato, and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat 20 minutes.
- Clean okra, removing the tops and seeding if very mature.
- Add okra and seasonings to taste. Cook 5 minutes.