Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
All American Festivals
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 small carrot, grated
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 celery rib, cut in half
- 6 large mushrooms
- 2 -3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 -3 lbs pasta, cooked to al dente when sauce is ready
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and sausage and cook until both are browned. Set aside.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until softened; do not let brown.
- Add tomato sauce and paste. Add 44 ounces of water (2 cans each of the tomato sauce and paste filled with water).
- Stir and then add all remaining ingredients except pasta and cheese. Add the browned meats. Stir to combine and bring to a very low simmer, lowering the heat as needed.
- Simmer very slowly for 3 to 4 hours, checking the taste occasionally and adjusting seasoning accordingly. (The long cooking time is critical).
- When sauce has reduced substantially and thickened considerably, remove celery and bay leaf.
- Serve over cooked pasta and top with Parmesan, if desired.