Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Order of toppings: mozzarella first (mutz) then the sauce OR sauce first then the mozzarella. Try them both and decide for yourself which is best. American Pie, Peter Reinhart.
- 2 lbs fresh pizza dough, enough to make two 12-inch pizzas (recommended Neo-Neapolitan Pizza Dough)
- unbleached high-gluten flour or bread flour or cornmeal or semolina flour, for dusting the peel
- 6 ounces full-fat low-moisture mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄4 cup pecorino romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced (or coarsely shredded)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (Crushed Tomato Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or chopped fresh)
- 8 fresh basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place baking stone on the middle shelf of the oven; preheat oven to highest setting for at least 1 hour (make 1 pizza at a time).
- Shape dough into 12-inch round (supposed to toss and spin, ha ha); the dough should be very thin, about 1/8 inch thick, nearly translucent, and slightly thicker toward the edge.
- Transfer dough to a peel that has been dusted with flour.
- In a bowl, combine the 3 cheeses; spread ½ cup of tomato sauce over the surface of the dough, leaving a ¼ inch border.
- Distribute half the cheese evenly over the pizza; sprinkle half of the oregano over the cheese.
- Carefully slide the pizza from the peel onto the baking stone; bake 10-12 minutes; when done, the crust should be crisp and slightly charred on the edge and the cheese should be fully melted and just beginning to caramelize to a rich gold; the underside of the crust should be brown and crisp, not white and soft.
- If the underside is not ready when the top is finished, lower the shelf for the next pizza.
- While the pizza is baking, stack the basil leaves, roll them up lengthwise, and cut thinly crosswise to create shreds.
- Remove pizza from oven and immediately sprinkle half of the basil over the top; let pizza cool for 3 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make the second pizza.