Recipe by Barefoot Beachcomber
For Chicken a la King, of course! Or over whatever strikes your fancy as it is a very versitile sauce.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, Finely chopped
- 2 pimientos, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, Sliced
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- In a double boiler, melt the butter. Add the green pepper, pimientos and mushrooms. Saute until soft.
- Stir in the flour and the seasonings. Blend.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and light cream.
- Stirring occasionally, cook the mixture for 10 minutes, or until it has thickened.
- Without stirring, turn heat down and cook gently for 10 minutes longer.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sherry together. Add a bit of the hot sauce mix to the egg mix and whisk.
- Add this mixture gradually to the sauce.
- Serve hot over chicken breasts or jazz up some leftovers with this sauce.