1/2 Photos of Saturday Sourdough Bread
6 hrs 35 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
This is a simple recipe that takes some time (like most sourdoughs). An overnight stay in the fridge improves flavor, but isn't necessary.
My Private Note
1 lb or ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sourdough starter (1 oz)
- 1/3 cup water (2.25 oz room temperature)
- 1/2 cup flour (2.25 oz all purposed unbleached flour)
- 1Starter Sponge: Add starter to the water and wisk together. Add flour, mix well, cover and let sit at room temperature (70 to 75F) until doubled in volume (6 hours or overnight).
- 2Dough: Wisk starter sponge into the water and add enough flour to make a thin batter. Wisk to aerate dough, forming some bubbles. Add the rest of the flour and mix well to incorporate.
- 3Cover the bowl and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 4Add salt and knead for 8 minutes. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- 5Stretch and fold the dough once by stretching dough into a rectangle and folding letter-style side to side and top to bottom.
- 6Place in oiled container (straight sided is best) and mark the point on the container where the dough is doubled.
- 7Let rise in 75 to 80 F area for 30 minutes. Stretch and fold the dough for the second time.
- 8Let rise in 75 to 80 F area for 1 more hour or until doubled in volume (3 1/2 to 4 hours).
- 9Remove dough and divide into 2 pieces weighing just shy of 1 lb each.
- 10Shape into batards or torpedo or boule (ball) shapes. Place loaves on a floured cloth folded to support the sides of each loaf and cover with oiled plastic or in proofing baskets or bowls.
- 11At this point, I let rise for 20 - 30 minutes and place in the fridge but you can let the loaves rise until 1 1/2 times their volume and bake.
- 12If refrigerated, remove the loaves and let warm in a warm place for about 45 minutes as the oven prehneats to 450°F.
- 13Add a cast iron skillet near the bottom of the oven to preheat as well.
- 14Add 1 cup of hot water to the skillet carefully to avoid breaking the oven door glass and score the loaves with a razor blade.
- 15Transfer the loaves to parchment paper and place in the oven using a flat baking sheet or a peel.
- 16Bake for 12 minutes and rotate loaves for even cooking. Remove steam pan as well.
- 17Bake for 10 more minutes until browned or 205 F internal temp Cool on rack.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saturday Sourdough Bread
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.1
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 195.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: