Recipe by Shannon Cooks
Lots of fun to make and especially eat! I am a vegetarian, so I have substituted vegetarian "chicken" in this recipe and it was fabulous, but if you are a meat-eater you can use the same amount of real chicken instead with the same delicious outcome. I also used a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheeses because Mexican cheeses aren't available to me here in England but if you would prefer monterey jack or other Mexican cheeses go right ahead and use them instead. These were soooooooo good. Enjoy!
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
we liked this very much....my first attempt at a dish like this, and it was perfect. The recipe was clear, very easy to follow, it was easy to time my 'side' dishes so that everything came together. I made the tortillas and the refried beans from scratch, since ready-made are quite expensive here, I'll be posting those recipes separately . I served it with recipe#195501, because I've made it before and we like it, but I think I would have done better to go for plain rice or a green salad, it was a lot to eat! but its winter here, and cold, so it was a very Satisfying supper on a freezing Saturday night! Thank you for a very enjoyable recipe, Shannon!
- 88.74 ml butter, divided
- 709.77 ml cubed cooked chicken (or vegetarian chicken)
- 4 medium red chilies, diced (only remove seeds from two of the peppers, use the rest in the recipe)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 orange bell peppers, diced diced or 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 453.59 g can refried beans
- 1 lime
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 283.49 g half-and-half
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 113.39 g sour cream
- 118.29 ml milk
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 414.03 ml shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 414.03 ml shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 flour tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the peppers, garlic, onion and chiles in the skillet.
- Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add cubed cooked chicken, refried beans and juice of the lime. Cook for five minutes over low heat. Mix in 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup cheddar. Set skillet aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons) in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Gradually stir in the flour and half-and-half. Mix in the cilantro, sour cream, and 1 cup each of shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Cook and stir until cheeses are melted. Add 1/2 cup milk and two teaspoons cumin and stir until well integrated. The sauce will have a slightly gooey consistency.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Roll chicken/bean mixture into enchiladas using the 8 tortillas and line up in baking dish.
- Spread cheese sauce on top with a spatula.
- Top with remaining shredded mozzarella and shredded cheddar (you should have 1/2 cup of each remaining).
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted and lightly browned.