Recipe by Mike #2
From the Living section of the New Orleans TIMES-PICAYUNE. A cocktail fashioned after the Lemon cello.
- 8 mandarin oranges (satsumas, free of any exterior green )
- 1 (750 ml) bottle grain alcohol
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a Microplane or other zester to remove the rind only from the satsumas. Do not get any of the white pith, which is bitter. Reserve satsuma juice for another use. (suggests mimosas.)
- Place zest in an airtight container and cover with the grain alcohol. Steep in a dark place for about a week, swirling occasionally. When zest turns white, the oil is fully infused. Strain into a large pitcher through a coffee filter placed in a strainer, which should catch any small zest pieces and tiny impurities.
- Make a simple syrup by combining the water and sugar in a small saucepan and heating until the sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool. Add to the infused alcohol and stir. Bottle in airtight containers. Store in the freezer.