Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A recipe loosely based from a bean soup from Cooking Light, but modified for the crockpot
- 12 ounces dry 18 bean soup mix
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large ham hock
- 14 ounces tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Sort and wash beans; place in crockpot. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans.
- Combine rest of ingredients.
- Cook on high for 2 hours then lower the heat to low and cook for 4 hours (or cook for 8 hours on low).
- Remove ham hock and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Take a stick blender and puree some or all of the soup. Chop the ham in bite size pieces and add back to the soup.
- Taste for seasoning and correct at this point.