amanda l b's Note:
I've adapted this recipe from an old Womens Weekly Chinese cookbook, it's proven to be a hit in my household. The original recipe was for beef, so I imagine you could substitute this in my recipe. I've used broccoli, capsicum and spring onions, but you could add whatever vegetables you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets, skin and all visible fat removed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or a good grind of the pepper grinder!)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or I use spray oil, extra light olive oil)
- 200 g of thin dried noodles (or noodles of choice)
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, roughly sliced
- 3 teaspoons peanut butter (I use reduced fat)
- 2 teaspoons shaox hsi wine
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1For the chicken, cut into 3-4cm pieces and lightly pound with a meat mallet, so the chicken is of the same thickness.
- 2In a bowl, combine the water and corfour, mix until it is paste-like.
- 3To the bowl, add the soy sauce, black pepper, and sesame oil - mix well.
- 4Add the chicken to the bowl, toss to coat, and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 5Combine the peanut butter, shaox hsi wine, curry powder, 5 spice powder, cayene pepper, water, soy sauce and sugar in a bowl. Stir until peanut butter has broken down and blended in with other ingredients. (Note: you might need to press down on the peanut butter with a spoon or fork as you're stirring).
- 6Heat up water in a saucepan for the noodles. Add the noodles to the saucepan and cook as per instructions. Drain and set aside.
- 7Heat up the oil in a wok and saute the chicken until browned. Remove and set aside.
- 8Add the onions (and a bit more oil if needed), and cook a few minutes until they become transparent.
- 9Add the garlic and cook a further minute or two.
- 10Return the chicken to the wok, and then add the sauce.
- 11Sit until boiling, then reduce heat and cook 4-5 minutes, stiring as needed.
- 12Add the vegetables and half the spring onions, toss through and cook 1-2 minutes (Note: I like my vegetables crunchy).
- 13Add the noodles to the wok, toss through - add a little more water if needed.
- 14Serve in bowls and top with spring onions.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sate Chicken and Noodles - Chinese Style
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 912.8
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 291.5 mg
- Sodium 892.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 69.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder