Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is what we call a sweet sate and the chili paste that I add does not really belong in this recipe. Can be made with chicken breasts and then it is called Sate Ayam. Here it usually served with a ketjap peanut sauce and prawn crackers, it can be an appetizer, snack or a side dish when part of an Indonesian rijsttafel. If you cannot get the sweet soy sauce, use regular and add some brown sugar. Marinating time is not included.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork tenderloin (or chicken breasts)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup ketjap manis, sweet soy
- white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon sambal oelek (optional) or 1 -2 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
- Cut the pork up, into cubes.
- Make a marinade from the remaining ingredients.
- Add the meat and leave to marinate for 30 minutes minimum.
- Skewer the meat onto metal or bamboo/wooden skewers, if you use the wooden soak for half an hour in water, keep the marinade.
- Roast them under a grill, in a grill pan or best of all on the barbeque until done, usually about ten minutes or shorter.
- Baste with the remaining marinade during cooking.
This is a great recipe and would be good for parties. I used the 2 tspns of sambal oelek and we just had it with rice and cucumber sambal. It is in my cookbook and will do it again.
Can't put my finger on it, as I love all the ingredients, but I didn't like it that much - a bit too thick in consistency on the sate perhaps. I guess it's just that I like a lighter sate marinade/glaze.
Thank you for the great recipe. I served this at a recent party and it was smash. I added a bit more garlic then you stated and used a sweet chili sauce instead of brown sugar (since I didn't have any ketjap manis) to give the dish it's sweet flavor. This was great done over my charcoal grill. I did finish it off with a broil for a few minutes since the meat was a bit sticky. It was served as finger food and I didn't want my guests to have sticky fingers all night! Thanks again!