Recipe by HappyBunny
This is one of my adopted recipes.
Top Review by RotiJala
Definitely the real deal! If you like it sweeter and richer, add 60g of palm sugar. 'Roasted unsalted peanuts' is the mark of the real deal -- don't trust recipes that use peanut butter for peanut sauce (to be eaten with satay).
- 1 1⁄2 stalks lemongrass
- 6 shallots, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel coarse outer layer from lemon grass, and remove tough tops. (Save these for a soup stock if desired).
- Chop tender stalks into 1 inch lengths.
- Place in workbowl of food processor with shallots, garlic, coriander, hot chilli sauce, cumin seeds and turmeric.
- Whirl to a fine paste, adding water if needed.
- In a large frying pan over medium setting , heat oil, add lemon grass paste and dried shrimp paste, stirring and frying for about 4 minutes or until mixture emits a wonderously aromatic perfume.
- Stir in about half the coconut milk and continue cooking, stirring almost constantly, for 8 minutes.
- Stir in remaining coconut milk, sweeten with sugar and season with salt.
- Blend in peanuts.
- Taste at this point to adjust sweetening, salt, and chilli.
- Thin with more coconut milk or water if desire.