Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe from "The Complete Asian Cookbook" by Charmaine Solomon. Malay Beef Satay
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rump steak
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- finely grated rind of half lemon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons thick coconut milk
- Cut beef into small cubes, about 2 cm. thick each way.
- Trim off excess fat, leaving a thin layer of fat on some of the cubes.
- Cut the trimmed-off fat into thin squares.
- Combine turmeric, cumin, fennel, lemon rind, salt, sugar and coconut milk in a bowl and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Add beef and mix well, cover and leave to marinate for 1 hour or longer.
- *The longer it is left, the more the flavors will penetrate the meat.
- Thread on bamboo skewers that have been soaked in cold water for a few hours, putting about 5 pieces on the end of each skewer and leaving at least half the skewer uncovered.
- Use the squares of fat where necessary, for they keep the meat tender.
- Grill over hot coals or under a preheated griller until beef is well done and crisp and brown on all sides.
- Serve immediately.
I threw the meat and marinade in a ziplock bag and left it in the refridgerator from morning til dinner at night. Worked good. Very easy to make and so delish!!