My version of Salisbury steak with a bit of heat. You can omit hot pepper sauce if you are not into heat or have children who do not like spicy food.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄3 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup red wine, dry
- 1⁄3 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- For Patties: Combine all meat patty ingredients well until almost pasty except the oil and form into 6 oblong patties.
- Cook patties in 1 T oil in the moderately heated skillet for 4 minutes each side.
- Remove patties and set aside.
- For Sauce: In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter, add salt and pepper then stir in flour.
- Add beef stock, wine and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add beef patties to the skillet containing mushroom sauce and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes spooning sauce over meat patties occasionally.
- Add some water if sauce seems too dry.