Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
I came up with this recipe for the Mixing Pot Challenge of the Zaar World Tour 6. I tried to represent my team "A Seasoned Sailor and his Sassy Sirens" in an Asian marinade that is great for shrimp. Its zesty and sweet, and has a bit of kick, just like our team. I used the marinade for grilled shrimp, I also tried it sauteed and liked the grilling method best. I recommend saving out about 1/4 cup of the marinade as a dipping sauce for the grilled shimp. We served it with fried rice as a side dish, but this would also make a wonderful appetizer! If you like it spicy, use 4 tablespoons of the chili garlic sauce. I used 3 and it was a little spicy but I could have gone hotter. You can also add some crushed red pepper to kick it up. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup mango nectar
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Mix first eight ingredients in a bowl (or simply put all in a large ziploc and squish to mix). You can reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade as a dipping sauce.
- Put the marinade in a large ziploc bag and add shrimp.
- Marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Take shrimp out of bag and thread onto skewers.
- Grill over medium high heat for about 4 minutes each side, or until shrimp are done.
- Serve with reserved marinade as a dipping sauce.
These were really, really good! I used a pineapple-orange juice for the mango nectar. Skewered and grilled them. Very easy and a nice change from our normal fried or scampi shrimp.
Although I did make the recipe as given, there were only the 2 of us at the table, so I did cut it in half! Another time, though, I might just make it all! After all, cold shrimp . . . Yeah! And we thoroughly enjoyed the mango flavored sauce! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
I made this exactly as listed and ending up cooking them in a pan (WAY too much snow to BBQ!) and the smell from this is exquisite! I served this on Recipe #446561, that I made up to go with this. We loved this recipe and will absolutely make it again. And again! Made for Went to the Market tag game. Thanks Kim127! :D