Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a family favorite from growing up and now a family favorite with my husband and kids. The easiest way to describe it is like a sweet n' sour dish.
- 453.59 g package smoked sausage or 453.59 g package kielbasa, sliced
- 236.59 ml sliced celery
- 236.59 ml diced onion
- 236.59 ml beef broth (I use a bouillion cube to make this)
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 566.99 g can pineapple chunks, reserve juices
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 9.85 ml minced garlic
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 946.36-1419.54 ml cooked rice (I start this first)
- In large skillet, over med-high heat, lightly brown sausage in 1/3 cup of water. Add celery and onion and saute till crisp-tender.
- Add beef broth and tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple juice into measuring cup or bowl and add brown sugar, corn starch, garlic and pepper, mix well.
- Once the sausage combination has simmered add pineapple juice mixture and stir well.
- Add pineapple, heat through. The sauce will thicken as it stands.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!
Great! All of the kids ate and enjoyed it. Adults, too. Easy to fix for a weeknight dinner. Sweet and sour without being overly sweet. I used 11/4 pound good quality kielbasa, and didn't add water when I saut?ed it. Will make again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Our family loves this recipe! In our version, we omit the celery and add in bell pepper instead. I also use a little bit of Tony Sacheries to give it some flavor.
This was great! The description is right on; it tastes like a yummy sweet and sour dish you would order out. I have added it to our family cookbook. What a keeper; love that the ingredients are ones I usually have on hand. Reviewed for PAC Spring 2008