Recipe by Emily
Simply the best Gingerbread recipe I have had. The addition of orange zest sets these cookies apart they are sweet and slightly spicy at the same time. I am not sure what the origins of this recipe are, I got it from my step-mother Susan who I have referenced before as my cooking inspiration.
Top Review by LizAnn
I would give these ten stars for taste alone. They are addictive. I did use molasses instead of corn syrup and added salt and halved the orange zest. They did not hold their shape at all though, so I would not recommend them for cutting out gingerbread men, but I highly recommend them as a gingerbread cookie. YUM!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cookie cutter
- royal icing (optional)
- raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly cream together butter and sugar.
- Add egg, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add orange zest and corn syrup, mix well.
- Sift together remaining ingredients, stir into creamed mixture.
- Chill dough thoroughly.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut with Gingerbread men (and women) cookie cutters.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes
- Cool on rack.
- Decorate sassy little men with royal icing and raisins if desired.