Recipe by Babs7
My biggest challenge with these wraps is not eating all the cilantro pesto with chips before I can get them rolled up. Perhaps you will be more disciplined. If not, make a double batch of the pesto so you can snack without consequences. These a great healthy lunch, and are also pretty cut into slices and served as an appetizer.
Top Review by canarygirl
What a delicious lunch! The layers of flavors are incredible...I don't know which was better, the cilantro pesto or the tomato vinagrette? The brown sugar and sun dried tomatoes in the vinagrette gave just enough sweet contrast to the cotija. The crunch of the veggies was nice too. All I can say, is YUM! Thanks for a great recipe, and good luck in the contest!
For the Cilantro Pesto
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons Cotija cheese (Feta or grated Parmesan will substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (more if desired)
For the Sassy Tomato Vinagrette
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 -10 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and pour boiling water over them to cover.
- Set them aside to steep.
- Make the cilantro pesto: place cilantro leaves, pine nuts, Cojita cheese, cumin, garlic, lime juice,& salt into a food processor, and pulse until mixture is a paste-like consistency.
- Scrape down the sides of the processor bowl, and with the processor on, add the olive oil in a continuous stream.
- After 1/4 c., check the consistency of the pesto. If it is spreadable, but not watery, stop. If it is still too chunky to spread, add a little more oil. But you do not want a runny consistency.
- Place pesto in a bowl, set aside.
- For the Sassy Tomato Vinagrette: Drain the tomatoes and dice (or cut into small pieces with kitchen shears).
- Peel the garlic clove, and using the back of a knife, crush it with the salt until the mixture makes a paste.
- Put tomatoes, garlic paste, tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, vinegar& brown sugar into the food processor and whirl until well-combined.
- Drizzle in the olive oil while the food processor is running.
- Set aside.
- Core and seed the red pepper, and slice it and the zucchini into strips.
- To make the wraps: Spread a layer of cilantro pesto (about 1 1/2 tablespoons per wrap) onto the each tortilla-- stopping about 1/2-inch from the edge.
- Next, put down a slice of the chicken, and spread the top of the chicken with the Sassy Tomato Vinagrette.
- Add a layer of zucchini & pepper slices.
- Roll up into wraps.